This sure would be easier on the emotions if news was unidirectional. Just drove Troy and Ronnie back over to see Hyatt before the 2-hour break in visiting hours. The nurse we really like (Kim; best nurse ever) had some more comforting things to say about her recent observations. She said Hyatt's pupils were responding equally (earlier the right was responding worse) and that the eyes were now both looking straight when you open the eyelids. It's obvious by looking at Hyatt that her gaze is unfocused, but it used to be cocked, and now it's straight. She also mentioned that for the first time she saw a very small grimace on Hyatt's face while she was messing with her eyes, etc. She showed us the gaze and Hyatt tried to blink her eyes shut.; good sign I guess.
Kim also said she felt like Hyatt looked better now than earlier this morning...and that it's the kind of thing that doctors and nurses notice, but sometimes patients don't. To me, she indeed looked better than when I saw her earlier, but we'll take anything at this point.
They have a feeding tube in her now, and have further reduced her to 40% oxygen with maximum blood oxygen levels.
Herman and Jane had been alone, watching their daughter together for the last 3 hours prior to this, and apparently getting themselves into some trouble. Surfing the internet on a computer the nurses told us was not allowed to be used, that kind of thing. A tech scolded Jane for this, and she pointed out that a tech is not an RN, so therefore not as smart. Kids.
Troy hung up a picture Sidney drew, and brought a CD player with Hyatt's favorite music. Maybe worth trying late when the nurses aren't paying too much attention. We'll be careful not to unplug anything in order to plug the music in.
We're all home for a family dinner, and I'm hoping we can keep Herman and Troy away for a long enough break. They both need rest.
-pete
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
We just got Troy's email and I had to read all the previous postings to comprehend this. Troy, know that we love you and that we are praying for you, Hyatt and the girls. We will stay close to the blog for updates as they come. Hugs and kisses!
Beth, Jim, Jamie and Patrick
I received Troy's email this afternoon as well and am attempting to process all of what I have read. Troy, please know Hyatt, you, and the girls are in my prayers. I will be there to help you all in any way I can - an hour away is a walk in the park.
God Bless you all in this! We are saying our prayers for you and your family. If you need anything please know and I am sure that everyone feels the same way, you have friends and loved ones that would do anything to Help!
Thank You for keeping us posted!
Sarah, Jeff, Ethan and Madelyn Armstrong
Troy - know that you are in our thoughts and prayers at work, home, and Church (CFC in Ashburn is praying too).
Give the girls a hug from us. Let Hyatt know we're pulling for her!
Whatever you need, just shout!
Kelly and Zack
Troy- We just received your email tonight and we are terribly shocked to hear the news. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Hyatt and the girls. Please let us know if there's anything at all we can help. If you need babysitters for the girls, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are available evenings & weekends to assist you. God Bless!
Michael & Lynn Francis
Troy,Hyatt,Sidney & Bekah-We love you all and send big hugs to all of you. John and I are praying for you Hyatt. I have asked God to help strengthen and heal you and to help the doctors and nurses take the best care of you they can. It's funny how many times I have wanted to call you since I found out I was pregnant but I just didn't make the time...I wish I had called. You are a great mom, person, cousin, etc. and I have always looked up to you as a role model. You will pull through this. Troy we are praying for you and the girls as well. If you should have any medical questions please don't hesitate to call or email...it sounds like Hyatt is in good hands though.
We love you all. God Bless.
Anna and John
Just a quick question Pete if you know. Is Hyatt still receiving full ventilatory aid or is she doing some of the breathing on her own? They have different modes of ventilation some of which allow a patient to take their own breaths as well as receive breaths from the machine. Usually, when the lungs start to get stronger they will try and let the patient breath with less assistance from the machine. I don't expect Hyatt is at this point yet but I was just wondering.
Anna,
As I understand it this machine allows Hyatt to force the breathing if she wants. It has a baseline setting for breath frequency/volume, but she clearly has made it deliver more during stress times. So, we don't actually know at THIS point if she would be able to breath on her own without it, but it's possible. They'll try to get her down to about 30% O2 concentration first, since that'll put her within shouting distance of the oxygen content of air (low 20s). I forgot to look at the current % on the monitor when i was just there, so I'm assuming they still have it at 40%. I don;t know at what point they'd try to let her breath on her own or MORE on her own. Possible they'd want to see significant brain activity first?
Thanks for the update Pete. I think they would more be looking at how much air she is pulling on her own as well as her intrinsic respiratory rate in order to decide when she would be ready to breath on her own. Sounds like her lungs are doing better though. Get some rest. Thanks again.
Anna
I was so sorry to hear the news about Hyatt. Please know that I am praying for her recovery, and for God's strength and power to surround the family as they wait and pray.
In Christ's love,
Kathryn Dennis (Eddie's mom)
Post a Comment