Friday, September 26, 2008

Long Term Plans

After two weeks of splitting time between hospital, home, and church with very little time in bed, Troy returned to work yesterday. I know it was hard for him to return while his heart was clearly somewhere else. The reality is that most of us need to work to pay bills and to keep our health insurance. Working yesterday was a good way to ease back into a routine which will help Troy and his family weather the months ahead.

Troy and I met at the hospital after work to meet with the case managers. Hyatt looked calm and restful. She is heavily sedated to help with her agitation and to keep her breathing easy. We talked with the case managers about Hyatt’s future care. Right now there is enough justification to keep Hyatt in acute care. She will remain in the hospital while the medical team continues to stabilize her and the neuro team finishes their testing. She will have a follow up MRI today and a repeat sensory evoked potential test Monday. Both of these tests were ordered to lend confidence in the neurologist’s repeated prognosis: That Hyatt will remain in a permanent vegetative state. Our hope and faith is unshaken. We continue to pray for a miracle while we navigate the hospital/insurance bureaucracy. At some point the hospital will have to transfer Hyatt to a long term skilled nursing facility so we have a lot of planning and coordination to take care of. We asked a lot of questions and there will be a follow up meeting this afternoon. I will post an update later today.

We are planning a prayer vigil to be held at 3pm EST Saturday. I will post some more information, but please plan on saying a prayer for Hyatt and her family.

As always, thank you for your continued prayers and support.

Allen

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allen
My children, Gabriella and Caleb and I continue to pray daily for Hyatt, Troy, Sidney, and Rebekah.

I want to offer my assistance in any way possible with regard to the insurance bureaucracy issues. I have several degrees in healthcare fields - I practiced for about six years and then moved into the health/medical insurance industry about three years ago. Often times, dealing with insurance can be a very challenging and frustrating task. Please feel free to contact me at jgcv AT comcast DOT net if you'd like my help!

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for all of you, Troy. I wanted to offer any assistance I can with insurance issues you might run into. I'm in my 3rd year of law school and am working in insurance law right now. I also worked for a disabiilty law/insurance firm before law school, so I am fairly knowledgeable about the legal aspects of health and disability insurance. I can't officially give legal advice yet, but I can certainly pass on any information I have that would be helpful and can put you in touch with contacts that I have in the field should you need assistance. emily.drosback@gmail.com
With love and prayers from your cousin,
Emily Drosback

Sara said...

Allen,
Again, thank you so much for updating. We continue to pray for Troy, Hyatt, and the girls. If I could say something to Hyatt I think it would go something like this: Dear Hyatt, first I have to tell you I love your name. It is just beautiful!! Fitting I would say, since reading this blog you sure seem to be beautiful inside and out. You sure have a great support system in place praying so hard for you. You have an absolutely wonderful family, an amazing husband, and 2 precious little girls. You also have this wonderful gentleman named Allen, who keeps us informed and our prayers directed accordingly. Please know that you have SO MANY people praying for you. I am a mother about your age(34yrs) and my husband and I have 3 children..2yrs, 4yrs, and 6yrs...we are also in the process of adopting a little 5yr. old boy from China. I don't know you or your family...but I'm still in shock with all that has happened to you. I'm praying SO HARD for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Hyatt, Troy, the girls and their families are in my constant thoughts and prayers. I do believe in miracles.

Diann Matthews

Anonymous said...

God Be With You All. Shirley

Anonymous said...

Troy - I can't be there tomorrow. But I'll say my prayers for all of you at 3 pm tomorrow. I'll wear purple again too.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Dear Hyatt,

I am one of the many women who has posted comments on this site without acually knowing you. ALthough I have never met you, your story touched my heart in more ways than one. I pray for you and your beautiful family as I know in my heart that you will beat all odds and come home to them. You just have to!
You are so blessed to have so many friends and family members who are constantly praying for you. There is hope and a wonderful miracle to happen for you. I am amazed by how wonderfully in love your husband is with you. I often cry thinking about how much he has done for you since this all started. This is a miracle on its own and I am sure you deserve every bit of it. I am a mother of 2 little boys (2yrs and 6yrs) and my husband just told me that he is filing for a divorce. He has met somebody new and he would like to start a new life. And although I know my life has not ended, I feel overwhelmed by emotions now. Your story gives me strength to keep on going as being alive and with my children is priceless.
Come back to Troy, Hyatt!

I will pray for you until you return from this journey!

Anonymous said...

Please know that those who may not be able to join you in Fairfax will be praying for Hyatt at 3p tomorrow. I hope all of you feel the love and support of so many across the country for this beautiful young mother and her family...

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know that our prayers and thoughts are with you. Our daughter-in-law Sarah Pavlick is in the Bristow Moms' Club, and she told us about your situation. God bless you, Troy, and your girls. The Pavlicks